Wednesday, August 3, 2011

9th Anniversary weekend...aka Food-cation 2011

**warning: this post contains graphic photos of amazing food.
 if you are currently dieting, you may want to avert your eyes and skip this post**


Jed and I celebrated our 9th anniversary this weekend! Wow, that makes me feel old...
The kids played at Grammy Dawn's house for two nights while we headed down to Salt Lake for a little getaway, and some delicious food. It was nice to have a little break, and probably good that I wasn't too far away from my baby. Addie got spoiled and I worried she wouldn't want to come home with us :) 

First Stop: The Wild Grape
Pan seared Halibut for me. Gnocchi with beef, mushrooms and truffle oil for Jed. 
It was DIVINE. I never ordered fish, but I loved it. We had only been there for breakfast, but dinner didn't disappoint at all. If you've never been there, I highly recommend it!


 Dessert: Gourmandise
We had to wait a few hours before we had room for dessert, so we opted out of it at Wild Grape and instead stopped at Gourmandise and picked up some delicious treats. Mine was Raspberry Mousse Cake.....not gonna lie, I let Jed have one bite out of obligation, then finished every last crumb. SO GOOD.

Next Stop: Left Fork Grill for Breakfast
Jed is totally in his happy place....corned beef hash and eggs
Very different atmosphere from the Wild Grape. It's a tacky decor-covered little diner that looks like nothing remotely special. I had heard great things about it from my dad, so we tried it out. I've heard their pie is delicious, but I was too full/um, it was 10am....I had to draw a line somewhere.

I got blueberry pancakes, which sounds boring, but they were SO good. Usually I eat like a half of one and I'm good. I just kept eating and eating even though I was full because they were so yummy.
I'm now wishing I'd saved room to try a piece of blackberry cream pie though.... 

After that breakfast, neither of us were hungry until 3pm. We headed up to Park City and walked around the outlet malls a bit, then headed back downtown for a late afternoon snack. Okay, Jed's is more like lunch

Bruges Waffles and Frites
Yes, that is indeed a Belgium waffle covered in dark chocolate, strawberries and ice cream.
(I was going to get creme fraiche, but it was SO friggin hot, the ice cream sounded better. I wasn't aware there isn't indoor seating there)

Jed attempted to take down the "Machine Gun" sandwich, which consists of a baguette filled with lamb sausage, frites and their homemade mayonnaise. Jed got the Samuri mayo...it was good and had a kick!
Their frites were good, but Jed's frites come pretty dang close I think :)

 Dinner: Settebello
(yes, we still ate dinner lol)
We shared this wood-fired pizza. We got the Bianca one- mozzarella, prosciutto, arugula and parmigiana. 
It was delicious and different, I liked it. Jed also got some fresh mozzarella and tomato appetizer.

 I saved some room for dessert.....hello, you HAVE to when gelato is on the table!
I got coconut, much to Jed's dismay.

Then we went and saw Cowboys and Aliens. It was a pretty entertaining flick. 
Plus, Daniel Craig was in it, so, um yeah.

Finale Foodie Stop: Breakfast at The Wild Grape
 
I got Brioche French toast with lemon curd and blueberries (holy YUM)
Jed got one of his "death row meals" Shirmp and Grits.

With very full tummies, we went and picked up our kids from Grammy's and went home. 
I then took a nap with Dalton :)

It was a fantastic little getaway. Thanks again Dawn and Steve for taking care of the kids and to Jed for spending a whole weekend with me. I love you!

 Next year is year #10, what the what? That's a whole decade. 
We will be going somewhere further than Salt Lake to celebrate that one I think!




6 comments:

Melissa Rees said...

Lucky! We never go anywhere for anything :( We are definitely going to try these restaurants!!

Megan said...

Usually when I read posts about food, it makes me hungry, but for some reason after reading yours, I feel full ;) The Belgian waffle & Brioche French toast with lemon curd & blueberries look SOOO good. Mmmm.

I think for your 10 year you should do the same thing, but in a super cool/trendy city at trendy restaurants & wear your cocktail dress. Honor those Kandell's! Muahaha.

Lori said...

oh man, that was freakin fantastic living vicariously through you two. were you just sick to your stomach by the end? totally worth it, though, no doubt.

happy anni!

Netti said...

Um, YUM!!! I love Settebello, favorite pizza ever! The rest of the food is making me drool as well, thanks, now I'm starving.;)

I love Salt Lake!

PS. Happy Anniversary!

Janiel said...

Oh everything looks so yummy!! But the waffle looks mouth-watering :)
Happy Anniversary!!

McBride Family said...

i have only heard of one of those restaurants, but now want to try them all!!! happy anniversary!