Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Merry Christmas! (and some of my thoughts...)



It's been an interesting Christmas season for me this year. Due to the "economical climate" we've mutually agreed with our family and close friends that we're not exchanging gifts with one another. Jed and I also have just done a modest Christmas for our little family. I've been surprised at how much stress and time has been relieved by this!

I actually LOVE getting people gifts, especially when I know it's something they'll be excited about. Not having to do this, however, has taken that whole worry about finding that "perfect gift" and not just buying someone something for the sake of giving them a gift.

I always have said my favorite part about Christmas is spending time with family and friends. This year I can see how true that really is! With no expectations from each other, we're able to just enjoy time together and not think do you think they really liked that gift? afterwards. I'm not saying giving gifts isn't a great thing, because it is. I just think sometimes we get so consumed with that during Christmas and lose site of what's really important.

I feel like I'm blessed with SO MANY gifts in my life~ My wonderful family and extended family, great friends, a nice home, and all our basic needs met. Most importantly I'm blessed with the knowledge that Jesus Christ is my Savior and that Heavenly Father sent him here because of his love for each of us. That knowledge is a gift nobody can take away and that I'll cherish always. I hope that the love of our Savior fills each of your hearts and homes this Christmas!

Merry Christmas to you all!

7 comments:

C and C Young said...

That's what we're doing this year, and it has been AWESOME!!! Merry Christmas to you guys!

Lori said...

Amen, my friend. Merry Christmas!

Josh, Melissa and Brynn said...

I totally agree with you about the gift thing. We sponsored a needy family this year, so that got me out of a lot of shopping for loved ones, but added a lot of shopping for strangers. Oh, well--what do ya do? I hope you guys have a great Christmas!!

McBride Family said...

great thoughts - thanks for sharing. i am so glad that we can keep up in blogs - i love it. hope you have a merry christmas!!

Megan said...

Seriously! We only give our kids a gift from us, one from their sibling and one from Santa. When I hear about people stressing to get shopping and wrapping done it makes me very happy that I don't have to worry about it. lol. I am looking forward to our get together - hopefully soon. Merry Christmas!

Chelsie said...

i think that's fabulous..it does get stressful trying to do presents, and it's so easy to lose the spirit of christmas. love the new card....love it

Niki said...

I think that is a great idea, I was just saying that Christmas isn't fun when you are a mom because it is so stressful. I hate having to pick out the perfect gift.