Saturday, March 27, 2010

5 things you don't like to hear in the hospital....

All things I've heard in the past 36 hours that I'd wish doctors hadn't told me....

"Oh, I was digging for a vein, but I guess that was a nerve or a tendon"
Ya think?!

"I don't really know what that is"as she pointed to a spot on the ultrasound.
Grrreat....

"NPO" aka nothing by mouth...no food, no drink, no water
Are you people even remotely aware how much I enjoy food?!

"Well...the CT scan was kinda ambiguous, so we don't really know what's wrong"

"I'd like to keep you here overnight and do all the tests we did today tomorrow."
You're friggin kidding me right?


It's been quite the roller coaster ride here....I kind of feel like I'm on an episode of "House"...you know, where someone comes in with symptoms of Appendicitis, but it's never Appendicitis on "House" that's just not interesting enough.

Thursday night I had familiar pains of an Ovarian Cyst rupturing....you know, where your lower abdomen feels like knifes and you can't get out of the fetal position all evening and night? I was really annoyed because I'm on the pill so that I DON'T get cysts. Blerg.

So...all night that night and the next morning the pain got worse, not better, like usual. It began to radiate to my entire abdomen and it hurt even to the touch. So I went into see a midwife and she did an Ultrasound so check things out. She couldn't see a cyst, as expected, since once they rupture there's usually just fluid in the pelvic cavity. She was very concerned with my pain level and felt it was Appendicitis. So she sent me to the ER. Holy not fun.

Can I just say that ER care sucks compared to all other health care I've ever experienced? They performed a CT scan and came back not really knowing anything (insert annoyed sigh here).

They threw around the option of Diverticulitis and Appendicitis, but both those options didn't show on the scan as very possible. They saw a 3cm avoid, or oval shaped pocket thing right near my colon and uterus. The avoid is an abscess, generally caused by infection....how it got there? Not a clue.

So, I've been being treated with IV antibiotics and pain meds, but I have to sit here till tomorrow and repeat an ultrasound to see if the abscess is gone. If so, yippee, I'm out. If it is still there, and encapsulated itself, they'll drain it with a very large needle (sounds fun eh?)

So here's hoping that the meds all work and in the morning I'm abscess free and more pain free so I can go home. This whole hospital thing is lame.

That about sums up my weekend thus far. Oh and Addie is thankfully at my in-laws having fun. That is a huge stress relief. Oh, and she's sick with the croup. Yep, that's right....sharp rocks at the bottom? Bring it on.

10 comments:

Maria said...

You're still so funny even when you're in pain! I hope you get better soon; I can't believe you're in the hospital :(

If you need help with Addie, let me know. I'm not really working right now, so I can come up.

*K*R*I*S*T*Y* said...

Jenny I am SO sorry! But lets get real, how hot do you look in your little hospital gown and fuzzy socks...*cue jessica simpson 'nothing but my hospital gown on'* all joking aside, I'm so sorry.I'm glad you're light hearted about it.It could be worse right?Keep us updated.Xoxo

Lori said...

for the freakin love, woman. i'm sending you dc, chocolate, Gilmore Girls, and lots of sarcasm your way. thanks for keeping me in the loop via BB.

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

Oh my goodness. Can't believe they are so unhelpful in the ER...isn't that why we go there in emergencies is for answers? Hope they don't have to do all the tests again and you get to feeling better. Love Addie's new bed too. We have been trying to do that with Logan as well but just haven't madde the transition. Here's to hoping!

McBride Family said...

oh that sucks! i'm so sorry - i hope you get to go home soon and that going home also equals no more pain!

The Hills said...

oh brother-bless your freaking heart. Here's to hoping all goes well today. I'm so sorry for what you've had to go through! And Addie has CROUP??? Holy crap-I really hope she didn't get that at the gym. I went on Friday and there was a Mom who came in after me with like four or five kids and one of her little boys was seriously hacking his guts out. I was FURIOUS! I was so close to pulling Lucy out and chewing that lady out. DUH. Who are these people? There's this huge sign right where we sign in that says ABSOLUTELY no sick kids. I think the nursery workers should have said-no way jose! There's the door. I hope today's the day and you're headed home. Let me know if you guys need anything. Seriously.

Unknown said...

Jen! I am soooo sorry. That sucks so much :( I hope that the medicine works and they don't have to use the needle. I have such a phobia of needles. Which, when you are a mama you can't :) I hope you get better soon!!! Keep us updated. GOOD LUCK!

Josh, Melissa and Brynn said...

Ahh, Jenny! That sucks! So did they decide that's for sure what is causing your pain? At least that's one step in the right direction. I hope you can bust outta there today! On the other hand, with Addie and her croup, maybe you better stay a little longer... :) Get well soon!

Megan said...

Man that is craptastic! It has been a long time since I have been to the ER, but I have had WAY too many experienced in my life where they just say 'Yep. We have no idea what is wrong with you!' That is the worst ever. I know they are human and can't be expected to know everything, but still. Then you get the bill and I HATE having to pay for something they didn't even know about. Okay. There is my rant. I am so glad you are home and better. Maybe now baked good will help? lol. :)

Melissa Rees said...

Guess what? I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!! Hopefully they don't send you home with an organ ready to explode. Stupid Davis hospital.....