Friday, February 18, 2011

Insomniac Brain Dump

I'm so behind on blogging. So why not catch up at 4 am right? Oh, right...because that's what a crazy person would do. Well...call me crazy or maybe just pregnant, but here I am at 4:20am and I've been wide.awake. since 2:45 when Addie came into our room for (insert random 3-year-old reason here). I was already tossing and turning and not sleeping much anyway between head congestion and my baby in my belly who thinks he's a gymnast. He really is a wild little mover in there. He's breach so he's got a little more wiggle room and he sure uses it. It's quite the show to watch my belly going crazy in the evenings with his movements.Him being breach, and apparently big, also means his head is just above my belly button. You can see/feel his head and it's no wonder that even though I'm on the strongest antacid there is, I'm getting reflux in the middle of the night. Anyway, I digress....I was supposed to be catching up right? Oh, well I can't find the cable to my camera to actually do a full update with photos of Addie's first preschool field trip, Valentine's party and other events. I'm frankly too lazy to even download what I've got on my phone at the moment. So those will be coming soon....I hope.

Meanwhile, I'm just going to dump my brain with some word vomit and hope that it helps me be able to sleep. For peeps who normally skip through my rambling to see pictures, sorry, just skip this post and wait for the next one :)


  • My baby is coming in less than 5 weeks now. I feel prepared in some ways and completely unprepared in others. His room is pretty much done and put together. I've got diapers and wipes to last a month and clothes washed and in his drawers and closet. Jed's aunt Teri even made me some cute boy burp cloths. At the same time, my brain keeps having mini-panic attacks about all the tiny details left to be done. There are a lot more factors to consider the second time around. This time I'm stressing about Addie and how/where she'll be for my 3-day hospital stay and  how she'll cope with me being in the hospital and getting a baby brother. I know she, as well as all of us, will have an adjustment period and I'm trying to not set any expectations and just roll with it. The issue there is that I like to have things planned out and prepared...but there really isn't a way to plan for a small child's reaction to her center-of-the-universe lifestyle being altered by a baby. Oh, plus my hospital decided they're holding a conference the day I was supposed to deliver, so that entire day got bumped. When I say bumped, I mean nobody called me to reschedule or anything, even though we've had the date booked for a month. So by the time I found out, which was yesterday, everything that week is already booked except for 6pm the night before. I'm not thrilled, but what else do I do? Hey, maybe I'll randomly go into labor and get him early ;) Riiiight.....
  • That whole "nesting" thing? Well I think I had that like two months ago, but right now I can't seem to motivate myself to do much of anything. It's an issue. Good thing I'm OCD enough that everything is pretty much done already even though I've got over a month to go :)
  • I've gained 10lbs in the past month....uh scary. All of a sudden my weight shot up and it's frightening me. I only ever gained under 20lbs total with Addie, but I also couldn't eat sugar lol. I know some has to do with my legs swelling from my varicose veins...let's just go with that and not think anymore about it.
  • Jed is doing a really strict diet. I am not. I am pregnant and "can't" diet. He's trying to get a little healthier and lose some weight. I personally think it's unfair for him to get thinner as I get more huge. Oh and I totally feel guilty for eating real food in front of him even though he tells me not to. Needless to say, the mini Reeses peanut butter eggs are "hidden" in the freezer to ease his pain.....plus I like them better frozen. 
  • Addie has had a cold since last Wednesday. Just when I thought she was better on Tuesday, she woke up crying in the middle of the night with ear pain. Sure enough the poor little thing has an ear infection. Wednesday was a long day for us at both my doctor and hers. She seems to be getting better at least, now I just hope that the cold she gave me doesn't get too bad.
  • The last issue weighing heavy on my mind and heart: my Grandpa isn't doing well. He had a stroke last Friday night and he hasn't recovered. He got moved to the ICU last night and it isn't looking very good. He lives in California so I can't go and see him and it breaks my heart. My mom and aunt are leaving in the morning to go be with him. I was looking forward to him meeting baby Dalton. Dalton is my grandpa's middle name and his mother's maiden name and he was SO excited when my mom told him that's what we're naming our baby. It saddens me to think about them possibly not meeting, at least maybe not here on Earth. 
I believe that sums up most of what has been occupying my thoughts this week. There are many more random and trivial thoughts I'm sure, but I should stop babbling and maybe attempt an hour or two of sleep. Now I'm wondering where that camera cable is....

12 comments:

C and C Young said...

I'm so sorry about your grandpa and that you can't be with him. I love that name--what a great way to honor him. I have insomnia and have been going off my sleeping pills--they are so expensive--so I feel your pain. One thing my mom always told me was laying down and resting your eyes is just as good as sleeping, so sometimes I just lay in my bed all.night.long.with my eyes shut.

Pieces of Us said...

oh jenny...i'm so sorry about your grandpa. i had no idea. i hope he gets better.
if he does pass away {which i truly hope he doesn't} he'll go to heaven to get dalton ready to come to you.

Becky said...

I know what you mean about being prepared, but not! Try not to worry so much about Addie's reaction. I was always stressed about that, and my kids always did great. Addie will love her baby brother.
Sorry about no sleep. Just how it is, huh? I'm already getting big enough where it is getting uncomfortable to sleep. Anyway, I hope you guys all start feeling better soon!

Melissa Rees said...

Only a few more weeks!! You can do it! And we can totally watch Addie if you need us too!!

Netti said...

I like word vomit. So therefore I liked this post.

So so very sorry about your Grandpa!! Keep us updated!

I love the name Dalton!! I can't believe he's just 5 weeks away from coming out!

McBride Family said...

]hope everything ends ok with your grandpa. great post. i could read the things you write all day long.

Janiel said...

Oh Sweetie - sorry to hear about your Grandpa..Your family will be in our prayers.
Also the Frozen Reese's sounds delightful :) I'll try it :)
Miss Ya!

Josh, Melissa and Brynn said...

I didn't know baby boy is breech! So, planned c-section? That's what I had with Brynn for the same reason. It was actually kind of nice. :) When is the big day? I'm sorry you aren't feeling great. At least there's not too much longer! I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa, too. It's so hard watching family get older.

Jenny said...

thanks friends....feeling the love :)

my grandpa is doing a little bit better and hopefully out of ICU soon. Melissa- I already was planning a scheduled c-section because I had one with Addie. Him being breach just solidified that one :)

oh- and jed found my camera cable- yay!!

Megan said...

What a crap-tastic week. I hope things are getting better. Or at least in the sleep department. It seems that when that area suffers, all areas do! I heart you friend. I wish I was closer so we could just hang and chat all day long. That would be the life :)

The Hills said...

Jenny! I'm so sorry about your Grandpa! Something like that is so hard but especially so when you're dealing with lack of sleep and the end of pregnancy. I hope everything turns out alright.
Tell Jed he's fired from his freaking "diet". No dieting allowed with a pregnant wife. Hold off for a few weeks and you can diet together...or not...because you can't really diet while nursing. How dare he :)
Just come eat with me because I'm far from dieting. I had intentions of doing so but my good intentions last for like 10 minutes then I eat a candy bar or a half a pound of cheese. Let me know if you need anything friend-I'm a zombie but still willing/able to help if you need it!

Lori said...

it was so good to see you. you're all sorts of prepared for baby boy. i'm so excited for you. hope your grandpa is feeling better!