Tuesday, May 31, 2011

a great {grandparent} weekend

Our kids are so lucky. Not only do they have awesome grandparents who love and spoil them, they also have wonderful great grandparents. We don't get to see mine very often because one lives in California and my Grandma and Grandpa Workman are now both in separate Care Centers and it's kind of a long drive with the kids. 

Sunday we decided to load the kids up and head down to see them both. We stopped at their house first with my dad (it's being cleaned out to sell). It was kind of sad to see the place that I went to throughout my childhood so empty and quiet. If you're a relative of mine you know that house was rarely empty or quiet! My Grandma has been in a nursing home for quite awhile because of her lack of mobility. She has a lot of arthritis and osteoporosis in her back. She was so excited to be visited, especially by her great-grandkids. 

Meeting baby Dalton. He is their 36th great-grandchild!
Addie was number 28.


 We went to my Grandpa's Assisted Living place after that. Until last month, my Grandpa still lived in his home. Unfortunately he's starting to lose his short term memory and can't be on his own. He loves it there though. He's thrilled he gets to have his own stuff in his little apartment and be pretty independent, but still have meals with the other residents and not have to worry about taking care of cooking and such. To say he was excited to meet Dalton is the understatement of the year. He was awesome. His smile never left his face.
 Jed, Dalton, my dad and grandpa
(and um yes, Dalton does look just like his daddy!)

Me and my Grandpa and my kiddos
We couldn't get him to stop looking at the baby long enough to take this picture. He's so cute. He loves babies! He just kept saying what a wonderful day it was and how he just couldn't believe it.  

I love this picture.

Yesterday, Jed had the day off (well kind of. He had work off, but not second work aka Plutonium) We went to lunch over at his Gram and Gramp's house. We love spending time with them. They're so cute and sweet with their great-grandkids and they're always thrilled to see us all.
Dalton hangin' with Gramp

Gram and Gramp with the kids

We're so fortunate to have their great examples in our lives and in our children's lives. 
We love our grandparents!

4 comments:

Pieces of Us said...

fun! that picture of your grandpa with the kids is priceless. love it.

Netti said...

Ohhhh. Melt my heart into butter why don't ya. Those pictures of Grandma and Grandpa with the kids are enough to make me want to bawl. I'm so glad they got to meet Dalton and that you got to see them! I haven't seen Grandpa's new place yet, I'm so glad to hear that he likes it. I hate that him and Grandma have to live in different places, but I'm so glad Grandpa has someone to take care of things for him now and that he's not all alone!!

mlewrkmn said...

Your post about grandparents made me cry. I miss you all so much..we miss you all so much..:( You are so wonderful to visit the great grandparents. What a treasure!

Janiel said...

Oh those pictures are priceless!!

Love the video of Dalton!!
Can't wait to see you next monday!! I'm so excited to meet little Dalton :)