Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hearts, arteries, and prayers

Just thought that I would give a brief update on the past few days events. Danny, my stepdad, was having chest pains on Saturday while loading up their snowmobiles and so my mom took him to the hospital to check things out.

They decided to keep him overnight to run a few tests. Sunday they did a stress test and didn't find much, but the doctor felt that they should an angiogram Monday morning just to be on the safe side. So the plan was to do an angiogram and if they found any blockages, they'd just fix them with angioplasty at the same time. We figured that they'd find something, fix it and he'd be on his way by last night.

Well.....things don't always go according to plan. The doctor came out from the angiogram and told my mom that things didn't look good. He said that Danny had 4 arteries that had blockages and would need a quad bypass surgery!! What?! That wasn't what he signed up for! We're so very grateful that they did the angiogram and found those blocks though, because otherwise Danny wouldn't have known until it was too late.

So around 3pm yesterday, they wheeled Danny off to do full blown open heart surgery. We were all very scared and emotional but we knew that lots of prayers were being said on his behalf and that gave me peace. The surgeon came out around 7:30 and said that the surgery went well and they were able to successfully bypass the "bad" arteries. He'll still have a long road of recovery ahead of him, but he's blessed with lots of supportive friends and family to help.

Thanks so much to everyone who offered us words of comfort, support and love. Also, we know so many of you were praying for him and I know that it got him through the surgery. We're so blessed to have such a great support system!

11 comments:

Megan said...

That is so crazy that he had open heart surgery! Ah! I am so glad they decided to take an extra look so that they found the problem and were able to take care of it before it became a problem. Thanks for keeping us updated. I hope everything continues to go well with his recovery.

Maria said...

Give your mom a hug for me and tell Danny that he's in my prayers!

Lori said...

Love you guys. ( ) (that's a big cyber hug, hee hee)

C and C Young said...

oh my goodness!! I had no idea. You all will be in our prayers.

Ben and Melissa Ellis said...

Oh goodness. I am so glad that they took an extra look. You will definitely be in our prayers and we hope the long road to recovery goes well.

Janiel said...

Give your mom our love. We hope the recover goes well. I'm glad they found it sooner than later.

Chelsie said...

that is nuts the way that all of this came about, but how lucky that they found them and got to them before it was too late. i hope all continues to go well!

Netti said...

Oh my gosh!! I'm so so sorry to hear about this but I am glad that he's ok and that everything turned out ok in the end!! What an emotional and scary thing! I will make sure to tell my family to keep Danny in their prayers!

Emmy said...

Wow! - how stressful and scary! I'm so glad that they got on top of it right away and that it turned out okay. We will pray for them and hope that he recovers well!

Jeff and Erin said...

So scary! but glad they were able to take care of it. your family will be in our thoughts and prayers!

Marilyn said...

Well i just had a minute while Danny is sleeping and thought i would look at Jenny's blog! I am now in tears because of all the love and support that we never even knew we had. I want to say a BIG THANKS to all of you. Its amazing how many lives each of us touch and don't even know it!
lots of love
Marilyn